• McKinney-Vento Act/Student Residency


    You can still enroll in school!

    The federal McKinney-Vento Act and West Virginia state law and policy guarantee that you can enroll in school if you live:

    � In a shelter (family shelter, domestic violence shelter, youth shelter or transitional living program);

    � In a motel, hotel or weekly rate housing;

    � In a house or apartment with more than one family because of economic hardship or loss;

    � In an abandoned building, a car, at a campground or on the street;

    � In substandard housing (no electricity, no water, and/or no heat); or

    � With friends or family because you are a runaway or unaccompanied youth.  

        You may also:   

        � Continue to attend the school in which you were last enrolled, even if you have moved away from that school�s attendance zone or district (if feasible and in the best interest of the child);

        �Receive transportation from the current residence back to the school of origin;

        �Qualify automatically for Child Nutrition Programs (Free and Reduced-Price Lunch and other district food programs);

        �Participate fully in all school activities and programs for which you are eligible; and

        �Contact the district liaison to resolve any disputes that arise during the enrollment process.


    If you live in one of these situations, as for all students enrolling in West Virginia schools, you will need to complete a student residency form available at all schools.