Green District Schools
Allister School- This school was located where Allister Ridge (also called Allister or McAllister Ridge) and Shenango intersected. It sat across from the Post Office and general store of Allister. The school was last in service during the 1943-44 school year. Glenn Gainer (b. 1907) was a student there and had Hettie Van Dyne as his teacher in 1918. Glenn was the last teacher at the school and also taught at Mt. Morris, Blenn’s Run, Eight Mile and Piney. He joined the service during WWII and was killed in 1945. (From Christine Mitchell, http://www.orgsites.com/wv/shortlineschools/)
Atwood School- was a school located on the border between Wetzel and Tyler counties, giving it the name the Border School at Atwood. The two counties alternated responsibility for employing and funding teachers. Some teachers from Wetzel included Roy Minor, Opal Minor, Okey Long, Ralph Conley, and Dick Holman. Teachers from Tyler County included TM Lemasters, Mary Lemasters, and Wilma Fiber. However, by 1949, Tyler County assumed full control of the school. The school closed around six years later.
Big Woods School- This was located near the Allister School but predated it. It was located on a point behind the Van Dyne home. Around 1915 Ransel Morgan was the teacher and supposedly taught at the Morgan Ridge school as well. (Christine Mitchell, http://www.orgsites.com/wv/shortlineschools/)
Blenns/Blands Run- This school was referred to as both Blenn’s Run and Bland’s Run among locals and in official board documents. Glenn Gainer was the teacher here among other locations prior to his service in WWII. (Christine Mitchell, http://www.orgsites.com/wv/shortlineschools/)
Buzzards Glory- This school was built in 1921 (board records). It was also known as the McKimmie Ridge School. The building was lost to fire, date unknown. (Christine Mitchell, http://www.orgsites.com/wv/shortlineschools/)
Childs School- Nothing can be found of this school except it was approximately located ten miles from the county seat. ( Christine Mitchell, http://www.orgsites.com/wv/shortlineschools/)
Chiselfinger School- This school was located on Chiselfinger Ridge, on the Elson farm, and overlooked the community of Porter’s Falls. According to board documents, it was built in 1901. The school was torn down around 1945 or 1946. Some of the teachers at this school were Ross Ice, Zackwell Cochran, and Ira Merritt. (Christine Mitchell, http://www.orgsites.com/wv/shortlineschools/)
Eight Mile School- The site of this school was near the present-day Eight Mile Church of Christ. The year the school was established is unknown but it’s believed it started in the late 1800s. Grades 1-8 attended. Some of the teachers included Glenn Gainer, Evelyn Milburn Postlethwait, Frank Cochran, and Joy Headley. It closed in the mid 1950s. The building was demolished the same decade after it suffered from tornado damage. (Christine Mitchell, http://www.orgsites.com/wv/shortlineschools/)
Hemlock School- Records from the county office indicate that the deed for the Hemlock School dates back to 1888. This school was located west on route 7 around a mile past Halls Mills, probably across Little Fishing Creek. It was just across the border in Green District. There is the Cook Cemetery located near where the school probably stood.
Low Gap School- The Low Gap School was located on Turkey Run at the intersection of Maury Lang Road. (Wetzel County Genealogy 1983, page 13.)
McKimmie Ridge School- AKA Buzzard’s Glory. This school was located off from McKimmie Ridge Road near a cemetery. According to district documents, it was deeded in 1921 to Green District Board of Education. This school taught grades 1-8. Some teachers included Frank Cochran and Marie Workman. There were gender-specific outhouses nearby the school. The school was discontinued around 1943. (Wetzel County Board of Education Documents; Christine Mitchell, http://www.orgsites.com/wv/shortlineschools/)
Minnie School- Sam Morgan opened a store and wanted to open a Post Office in his store near present-day Fluharty Run. When he submitted the proposal for the Post Office he had to submit possible names. He decided to send the names of his three daughters, Lottie, Minnie, and Adeline. Minnie was the name chosen out of the three. The two-room schoolhouse built at Minnie replaced four previous schools, including those located on Hupp’s Run, New Martinsville Ridge and the Low Gap School on Turkey Run. Teachers of this school include Agusta Klipstine, John Bonner, Ray Merritt, Walter Schamp, James McGinnis, John Morgan and Ross Ice. (Wetzel County Genealogy, 1983, page 13).
Morgan Ridge- Morgan Ridge school was close to the end of Morgan Ridge/ Fair Hill, probably less than half a mile from Ashland Church. It was a one-room school and the last year of operation is believed to be in 1949. Virginia Headly Tracy was its last teacher. (Christine Mitchell, http://www.orgsites.com/wv/shortlineschools/)
Mount Hope School- The Mount Hope school was located near Buzzard’s Glory on McKimmie Ridge, but closer to Reader. (https://westvirginia.hometownlocator.com/maps/feature-map,ftc,3,fid,1717757,n,mount%20hope%20school.cfm)
Mt. Morris- (1926)This school was located out Money Ridge, taking a left once at the top and going about ⅛ mile. Glenn Gainer also taught at this school. (Christine Mitchell, http://www.orgsites.com/wv/shortlineschools/)
Mountain Tea- (1866) This school was near where Carpenter Ridge meets Route 7. It is a border school between Proctor and Green districts. (https://westvirginia.hometownlocator.com/maps/feature-map,ftc,3,fid,1717706,n,mountain%20tea%20school.cfm) According to information retrieved by Christine Mitchell, “it was located somewhere out Barker Road on a hill near Route 7” Joy Postlethwait Headley taught there before 1929 and recalled that she lived with a Bland family. If the school was located between Mand and Halls Mills, it could have very well been close to Bland Run instead of at the mouth of Carpenter Ridge.
Noland School- County records show a deed for the Noland School dating back to 1882. It was located halfway between the Forks of Piney and King up the left fork of Piney. (Wetzel County Board of Education Records) A one-room schoolhouse, it taught grades 1-8. Some of the teachers employed there were Freda Wichterman (1931) and Glenn Gainer (1935-36). (Christine Mitchell, http://www.orgsites.com/wv/shortlineschools/)
Otter Den (1899)- Otter Den was located up Piney Fork about one mile. There were two schools by the same name, the last one being closed sometime around 1943-45. Some of the teachers for this school in the 1930s were Opal Minor, Fern Haught, and Franki Stackpole. (Christine Mitchell, http://www.orgsites.com/wv/shortlineschools/)
Piney Ridge School- Piney Ridge school was located on the ridge between Piney Run and Crow’s Run. Among the documents found at the Board of Education storage room was a legal agreement of shared well rights for a well the Green district Board of Education made with a property owner for drilling a well. The district and owner split the cost of the well as part of the agreement.
Piney Run Schools- There were several schools up Piney Run. The first was located at “the Forks,” known as the Piney or Fluharty School. On the right hand fork, the community of Ross sprung up during the oil boom. There were two schools located there. On the left hand fork was the community of King. It also had two schools. At the time there were no good roads that went from the mouth to the headwaters of Piney. Much of the path out of the hollow was through the creek. (Wetzel County Genealogy page 15) Another school was located on the ridge between Crow’s Run and Piney Run, known as Piney Ridge School.
Porters Falls- Porters Falls was known originally as “Little Morgantown” after a descendant of Morgan Morgan who had settled there. The first school sat atop the hill right above the town of Porters Falls. Two of the first teachers were Leonard and William Morgan. There was a three-room school that held grades 1-8. (Wetzel County Genealogy 1983, page 15).
Pride of Green-
Reader Schools- One of the first reported school teachers in the Reader are was Caleb Headlee. The first modern public school was built in 1904 and had a three month term. The Reader High School was built in 1917. (Wetzel County Genealogy 1983, page 16) The last graduating class of Reader High School was Spring of 1960. (Peggy Hunter, personal interview 5/1/19)
Reader Run School- This school was up Reader Run on property which is now owned by the Long family. It was also known as the Long School and was in operation during the early 1900s. Okey Long was a teacher there at one point. (Christine Mitchell, http://www.orgsites.com/wv/shortlineschools/)
Shenango School- Shenango Run, just over the district line to the west of Pine Grove, was the home of around fifty families. Supposedly, the name came from Chief Shenango, leader of a tribe who once lived in the area. The run follows a steep, narrow hollow of about five miles long. Near the top of the ridge intersected Allister Ridge, which had a general store and Post Office. There, a school was located. The Shenango School was located on the McAllister farm, which also held a Methodist Church.
State Road Run School- The State Road Run school was located about ⅔ the way up State Road Run on the P.K. Eastham property and was in service in the early 1900s. The school was demolished decades ago. The land is now owned by the Ultscheys. (Christine Mitchell, http://www.orgsites.com/wv/shortlineschools/)
Sugar Camp- The Sugar Camp School was about two miles up Crows Run. (https://westvirginia.hometownlocator.com/maps/feature-map,ftc,3,fid,1717721,n,sugar%20camp%20school.cfm)
Union School- This school was built in 1908 and was located at the junction of Routes 7 and 20, on the border between Magnolia and Green District (see information in Magnolia District)
Vincen- (1906) This school is located where Chiselfinger and Sandy Knob meet. The school was situated on Vincen Amos’s farm. The land was sold to the Green District Board of Education for $50.00.
From Christine Mitchell’s website:
“Vincen School was located at the end of Chiselfinger Ridge and then on the left for about 800 feet as though you are going on to Eight mile ridge. The history of Wetzel County notes that Vincent is listed as a rural Post Office 12 miles southeast Of New Martinsville with mail delivery three times weekly. The one room school house was on the Vincen Amos farm. The Board of Education purchased the land from Vincen for $50.00 to build the school. The post office and the school were named for him. Mary Jane, his wife, was a midwife and received her training and degree under the guidance of Dr. J. Theiss. From "The Amos Family Old & New" by Linda K. Wade, July 21, 1989, Issue #3: (article written for Glen and Forrest Amos and submitted to the Wild Wonderful West Virginia Magazine): “Changing Times: The place--a small ridge above Porters Falls, West Virginia, called Chiselfinger. The people--honest, hard working and friendly. The year--1906. The Wetzel County Board of Education consults Vincen and Mary Jane Amos about purchasing a small section of their property on which to build a school. There is already one school on Chiselfinger Ridge about two miles from the Amos property. The winters are cold and snow is deep and the children aren't supposed to have to walk more than two miles to get to school. Vincen and Mary Jane, having children and grandchildren, who would benefit from a school so close to home decided to sell about a half acre to the school board for "school purposes only” at a total cost of $50.00. The one room school was completed in 1906 and went on record as the Vincen School. As you walked through the door, there was a coat room on each side of the hallway. The floor was made of wood; the walls were made of small wooden boards that had been varnished, (this design was called tongue & groove). Four large windows on each side of the building allowed light to flood the room. A chalk board lined the back wall. A big coal stove sat right in the center of the room with a stove pipe going straight out a hole cut in the black tin roof. A coal shed was just in front of the school and two out-houses sat behind the school, (one for the girls and one for boys). Drinking water was carried from the Vincen Amos farm, a quarter mile up the road. School opened in September and closed in May. Hours were from 9:00 to 3:30 with two recesses and an hour break for a brown bag lunch, which was brought from home. Two holidays were observed: Thanksgiving and Christmas. Reading, writing and spelling were taught to the students in grades 1 to 8. Each desk seated two students and they shared the ink well that was in the top center of the desk. The teacher and students were responsible for keeping the school clean and orderly. The first teacher at Vincen School was Rex Stewart, followed by F. B. McGinnis. Other teachers who taught through the years include: Ernest Rice, Frank Cochran, Mrs. Miller, Ralph Conley, Frances Bucher, Zackwell Cochran, Ray Merritt, Blanche Haught, Luther Kidder, Russell Amos, Jim McGinnis, Merle Butler, Doll Blair, Roy Minor, and Oren Gray. The last teacher was Thomas G. Starkey, who taught at Vincen for nine years. As time changes, so do the rules and regulations. Transportation to and from school was becoming less of a problem, but a shortage of teachers, as well as students, was taking a toll on our school system. A ruling that a continued attendance of less than 12 students would require sending students to the next closest school. Alas, in 1938, the Vincen School temporarily closed its doors. The minutes of the Board of Education, 3 Sept. 1938, state that Dave Amos (s/o Vincen & Mary Jane) was awarded the contract for hauling children from the Vincen School to the Chiselfinger School at $40.00 per month. The teacher at Vincen (Thomas Starkey) was ordered transferred to Chiselfinger. Although Dave Amos was awarded this contract, his son, Carl Amos, drove the children to the Chiselfinger School in a 1930 Chevy automobile. Then a decision was made to sell the Chiselfinger School. In 1945, after being closed for 7 years, the Vincen School reopened with Thomas Starkey again the teacher. Vincen Amos, for whom the school was named, died in 1926. His wife, Mary Jane, passed away in 1943. Glen Amos, a gr-son, bought the home place in 1946. Glen’s son, Floyd, started school in 1949. Vincen had changed little since Glen’s own boyhood days at the school. Having seen such little change both pleased and concerned Glen. His concern surfaced in a letter which was entered into the Board of Education Minutes Book, 3 April 1951. ---A letter from Glen Amos concerning the water supply at the Vincen School was ordered investigated by the County Health Department---and action was taken. Minutes Book, 2 Oct. 1951, reads—On motion made by Mr. Lambert and seconded by Dr. Batson, the well belonging to Mr. (Glenn) Amos where the Vincen School gets water was ordered repaired, a new pump installed and new lights be installed in the school building. The last entry in the Board of Education Minutes Book dated 5 July 1955: --On motion of Dr. Batson, seconded by Mr. Fetty, the sale of the Vincen School building and land was approved. Vincent School stood proud through two generations of children laughing, playing and learning. Now in 1989 you can no longer hear the children’s laughter; you can no longer see the math problems on the old black board; the coal stove, desks and books are gone. Memories remain in the minds of those who went to Vincent and each year those memories become more precious. The old Building? It still stands, weathered by the elements of time and broken by the era gone by, nevertheless proud to have been a small part of West Virginia History and honored to be a part of the Amos Heritage.” (Linda K. Wade)”