Church District Schools
Burton School- Until the B & O Railroad came through, Burton was sparsely settled. The railroad’s completion in 1852 led to a spike in population. There was little form of government or the law until after the Civil War. In the 1890s and early 1900s, when oil was discovered, Burton became a boomtown. (Wetzel County Genealogy, 1983 page 10). The Burton Academy was the earliest known school. It was a two story frame structure with one classroom downstairs and one upstairs. It was demolished in 1900.
The second Burton School was built on the hill overlooking Burton. It also was a two story building but had four classrooms, each containing two grade levels. The principals of the school taught the seventh and eighth grade pupils. The following were some of the principals: “J.W. Santee, Charles Stoneking, John Hupp and W.J Stanhage.” Some of the teachers were: “Ethel Hupp, Winnie Casto, Jessie Latimer, Anna Glover, Essie Franklin, Eva Kennedy, Mary McKane, Adda Page, Averil Devine and Georgina Moss.” The second Burton School burnt down after being struck by lightning in 1919.
The third Burton School was made of brick and was one story tall. It, too, had four classrooms, but also contained an auditorium/gymnasium, a cafeteria and an outdoor playground. Because it took two years to construct, students held class in the Burton Lodge Hall. This third school closed in 1978 when Long Drain School was opened. It now holds the Burton Health Clinic. (Wetzel County Genealogy 1983, page 26-27)
Cappo Run School- The Cappo Run School was located up Round Bottom Road off of Route 69 past Hundred.
Carney School- The Carney School was off of Willey Fork Road, at the intersection of Moses and Styles Run Road.
Cottontown School- The Cottontown School was past Burton on Route 250 around where Routes 7 and 250 split.
Earnshaw- This school was located in the community of Earnshaw on Willey Fork Road.
East View School- The East View School was at the top of Windy Ridge near route 7.
Hundred High School- This high school was opened for use in January of 1923. It was part of a larger construction of high schools throughout the county at the time. Prior to its construction, students had been housed in the elementary school. And before that the district had bussed high school students to Littleton, Mannington and Fairmont to receive secondary education. Efforts had been made since 1914 to build a high school but it took time to pass a levy and raise funds needed for the school, which cost $115,000 to build and furnish. The finished high school was a two story brick structure with ten classrooms, two home economic rooms, a central office, a manual training room, library, auditorium and gym. The first graduating class, in 1923, had seventeen students, listed as follows: Mattie Main, Mary Carmen, Margaret Spitznogle, Inez Parish, Freda Hamilton, Frank Hostutler, Augra Shriver, Alfred Stewart, Clarence Spitznogle, Lillian Snyder, Hazel Thomas, Lucille Rex, Ruth Thomas, Florence Lemley, Carl Kennedy, Garold Hunt and Archie Church. By 1926, Hundred High School was fully accredited. (Wetzel County Genealogy 1983, page 27)
Joy Run School- This school was near Sancho.
Oak Tree School- The deed for this school was made in 1916. Oak Tree was located up Rush Run and was one of three schools located up Rush Run.
Oliver School No. 11- This school was located around three miles outside of Hundred. According to the account of Inez Rose Sapp, the school had a coal-burning stove and gas chandeliers which were only lit for special occasions. The school was demolished in the 1930s. Students then bussed to Hundred and, eventually, Long Drain School. (Wetzel County Genealogy 1983, page 28)
Rock Camp School- Records at the county office indicate this school was established in 1885. This school was located at the forks of Rock Camp Road and Plantz Hill Road, about two miles from Hundred.
Rush Run (I & II)- The first documented deed for a school on Rush Run is from 1866. One school was located about one mile up Rush Run. The next school was located another mile up Rush Run at the forks of Keifer Dam Road and Rush Run.
Sancho School- This school was near Joy Run It was possibly located off of Route 69 on Church Fork Road.
Tea Garden School- This school was located on Tea Garden Fork of Long Drain south of Anthem. It was located at the junction of four roads, the Anthem/Earnshaw Roads, Potts Hill Road, and Roberts Run.
Thomas School- This school was located along Route 7 near where Long Drain School currently sits. This community was called Thomas. The Thomas Chapel United Methodist Church still stands.
From 1983 Genealogy Society"Thomas Chapel United Methodist Church had its origin in two different log school buildings. The first congregation met in the Shriver School on Long Drain, near the present Shriver Cemetery. The congregation soon outgrew the small room with hand hewn logs for seats. At the invitation of Hugh Cosgray, teacher of the Vanhorn School (later No. 11 and Oliver), the folks moved on up the Drain a little further and continued services.Interest continued to grow and Rev. S. S. White convinced the people they needed a church building.Three men of the community, George Thomas, Hugh Cosgray and George Church formed a building committee. Grant Thomas was secretary.George Thomas donated the land near the Van Horn Cemetery. Other members were responsible for raising money for the church. Solicitors covered the community and nearby towns and soon the money was available.In June 1902, complete plans were submitted, the size was 32' by 42' with a seating capacity of 250.Later in 1902 Thomas Chapel M. E. Church was dedicated as a member of West Virginia Conference, Clarksburg District, Uniontown Charge.Rev. S. S. White continued to serve successfully many years. Other ministers have been the Reverends: Dunbar, Winters, Eisman, Groves, Anderson, Davidson, Baccus, Messenger and Kaufman.At present the church is in the Wheeling District and a member of Hundred-Rush Run Parish. Rev. James ShepherdII has successfully served the parish for twelve years.Sunday school has always been an important part of the church program since we can't have worship service weekly.Fred Church and Kathy Roberts Longwell are the co-superintendents."From the HISTORY OF WETZEL COUNTY 1983